Saturday, July 26, 2014

Crafternoon #2: DIY Customized Mug


Hi there! Today I'm about to show you how I customized a plain old mug. Essentially, all I did was head over to my local craft store, Michael’s and I bought a mug customization kit. Awkwardly enough, the mug kit was made for little kids age 6 and up, but whatever I just had to purchase it (and plus I’m over 6 so it’s okay). Anyways let’s get started!

Step 1: Get inspired

Whether it is a fancy design, or a simple quote or image, find something that inspires you and is easy enough to reproduce with a paint brush.I went on my pinterest and found a quote that seemed to completely describe me and I thought was simple enough to copy: "Never again. Until next time." 

        

Step 2: Gather your materials

Here's what you'll be needing to make this project:
11.       A ceramic mug
22.       Paintbrush
33.       Paint specifically designed for decorating ceramics
44.       An oven 
                             
Step 3: Paint your Mug

(*Before you paint on your mug, you should first wipe it down with a wet cloth so any dust is removed.)
 Next, paint on your design. I decided to paint my quote free-hand; however you can choose to use stencils to make your design more precise. 
Step 4: Bake Your Mug
(*It is important NOT  to preheat your oven before placing your mug inside. The sudden change in heat can cause the mug to crack or explode in the oven.)
Place your mug in the oven for 30 minutes at 360°. When the time is up, leave the mug in the oven until both the oven and mug are fully cooled.

Step 5: Admire Your Work of Art

There you have it, a DIY mug that you can show off to your friends.
I liked the way my mug turned out, however after taking it out of the oven, I realized I forgot to add punctuation marks(the critically important period). If you make an error like this, all you have to do is repeat your steps of repainting your mug and baking it in the oven again. 

Hope you enjoyed this project and got inspired! 


~Angela

                                                                                                                                                                  



No comments:

Post a Comment