Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Not a fan of glasses?

Some people just look stunning with their glasses and that led me to the belief that I too would look pretty amazing with glasses.

Expectations vs Reality on how I thought having glasses would look and feel:

When I was younger I had 20/20 vision and thought that having glasses would be a cool accessory for your face. Boy was I ever mistaken. Later on this "dream" of mine to get a pair of "cute" glasses was fulfilled... kind of.  I had gotten my first pair of glasses and to my disappointment, they were hideous. I had chosen them myself, yet I rarely wore them even when I needed them. However there was a strange sense of obligation to always carry my glasses and glasses case around wherever I went. At school I completely avoided wearing my glasses because I felt awkward and just uncomfortable with the fact that there would always be something on my face. The only times I put them on ever was when I was sitting in the backseat of my parents cars. Yeah I know what you're thinking: what a dumb kid who wasted money on a pair of glasses. I understand and totally agree, yet I had insurance that covered lenses and frames every other year so I continued to buy new glasses each year while wearing them about 6/364 days in the year. I still don't understand how other people are managing to continuously pull off looking like tumblr hipsters or smart business people with their glasses on.

For some time I have been considering getting contact lenses, but my mom completely opposed this option because she thought I was too young and that contacts could be dangerous to my eye health. Of course I completely disagreed becaus I was about 14 years old at the time and a bunch of classmates and friends of mine already had contacts while I was going around glasses free, but practically blind. As years progressed, my vision worsened to the point that my grades started to suffer. (I am an over achiever so suffering grades would mean receiving an A- instead of all perfect A's). My parents are super strict in regards to grades and academics and after a tearful (and tantrum-like) complaint on the effects of my "blindness" in school and everyday life, they finally allowed me to get contact lenses.
oh yes, the day has come
Today I went to the doctors and got my first gel like contact placed on my eyeball. I must say that having a doctor put it in my eye was very painful. I just don't feel comfortable with anyone sticking their fingers or any foreign object in my eye. Hopefully this is  normal because I'm assuming no one likes having their eyes touched by others. Afterwards I learned how to take out and put on the lenses and it wasn't as painstakingly painful as I thought it would be. The doctor or contact trainer lady even said I had been the fastest person all year to take out and put in my contacts for the first time. I guess I'm comfortable with placing my own fingers in my eye? *****(Side Story, scroll down to the last paragraph to read).

I chose to go with the daily disposable contacts rather than the more permanent one because there is less maintenance involved. I know daily disposables are more expensive in the long run, but I feel its worth it since I am not at all the type of person who is responsible and will wake up early in the morning to clean my lenses. Also there is a reduced risk of getting an eye infection with everyday disposable lenses. My doctor also recommended daily contacts instead of the more permanent option becaus people who have only just started to wear contacts should first start getting used to wearing contacts until they get older and more responsible Ipin order to fully care for the products. 

This was a pretty long post documenting my day and a life changing moment for me. I didn't really have time to edit because it wanted post this on the day it happened so If there are any terrible grammar mistakes, I apologize.





****Okay time for the 100% true side story.
When  I was around the tender and naive age of 5, I was in the bathroom with my older cousin when  I witnessed her sticking her finger in her eyes to pull out a small bowl-shaped clear object. I asked her what it was and she tole me "CONTACTS". After that I believed that everyone had contacts and tried to take out my own contacts. I wasn't very squeamish so I just went ahead and gently attacked my eye with my fingers. Nothing ever came out so I thought it was forever stuck in my eye so I just have up. It wasn't until years later that I finally learned about contacts and how wrong I was about practically everything. Maybe this early eyeball touching has made putting contacts in my eyes easier? Who knows, maybe the doctors were lying when they said I was quick at putting in my contacts.

Hope you guys aren't going blind!
~Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment