Saturday, September 6, 2014

Crafternoon #8: D.I.Y Cork board push pins




Hello lovelies, welcome to another Saturday crafternoon! Today I am going to show you how I made two types of delightful golden push pins for pinning your reminders and inspirations onto your idea board.
The first type I made was gold lettered cork board push pins.You can use these to spell out random things or just for pinning inspirations.
The next type I made was clothes pin pushpins. These are especially useful for clipping things onto your board without having to pull out pins every time you want to replace a note.
If you want to know how I made this cork board, click here.
Let's get started!
Here are some of the things you will need to make these push pins.
  • Plain thumbtacks
  • Plastic letters (I found these at my local craft store for less than a dollar)
  • Mini clothes pins
  • Gold acrylic paint (or any color you want)
  • Newspapers 
  • Super glue/ a hot glue gun



Step 1. Flip all your letters around making sure they are facing up wards. you don't want to waste your time painting the back which won't even be shown.

Step 2.Paint onto the letters. Make sure you paint on top of some scrap paper or newspaper to avoid messes.
Here's what they looked like when I finished painting them. You can paint the sides if you want to, but I decided to leave it as it was because in my opinion, it added a cool 3-d effect.(even though they're already 3-D letters)
Step 3. Wait for the letters to dry.
Step 4. Use super glue to glue the thumbtacks on to the back of the letters. I don't recommend using a hot glue gun, because I tried that at first and the pieces did not stick together well.
And that's basically all the steps. Pretty easy right? The only thing that takes up time in this project is waiting for the paint to dry. Now you can do whatever you want with these letters;as an example, I spelled out my name.


I'm going to show you how I added designs onto some of clothes pins using a tooth pick:

Dip your tooth pick into the paint and add small drops of paint to make polka dots.
To make stripes, use the same tooth pick and paint on about one inch of paint onto one side.
Then place the tooth pick on the clothes pin with the painted side facing downwards. "Stamp" on diagonal lines like shown in the picture.





The steps for making the clothes pin push pins are relatively the same as the gold lettered pins.


Step 1. Paint onto the top of the clothes pins.
Step 2. Wait for them to dry.
Step 3. Glue thumbtacks onto the back of the clothes pins.

There you have it, once again you have completed making a set of cute and useful cork board pushpins.
You're basically done so you can pin and clip things to your heart's desire (:
I just cut up the newspaper I was painting on and clipped some random things onto my board.
Hope you enjoyed this simple D.I.Y! See you next week for another crafting project.

~Angela





No comments:

Post a Comment