Sunday, November 16, 2014

D.I.Y Marbled Planter

Hello and welcome/ welcome back to my blog. I am super excited for this weekend's DIY project and I hope you guys enjoy learning how I made this marbled planter below.
Okay let's get down to business! (no not to defeat the Huns)
Here are the materials you will be needing:
  • water
  • nail polish - at least two different shades
  • empty planter
  • large bowl/ small bucket that you can fit your planter in
  • bobby pin or tooth pick



Step 1. fill the large bowl with water. 
In this case, I used a very deep metal bucket(?), you don't have to get something very big because it wastes a lot of water. I learned my lesson, next time I will use a shallower container
Step 2. Get your nail polish and splatter it across the water. 
You don't want to pour too much! After experimenting, I found it was unnecessary to use so much as it ended up just being a waste of nail polish that floated to the bottom of the bowl.
This is what it looked like after I finished splattering. Pretty satisfying isn't it?
Step 3. Use a small bobby pin, tooth pick, or etc. to mix the colors on the surface of the water.
I decided to add a third color so that you guys could see the mixing a little better.
Step 4. Grab your empty planter and dip it in. Or if you already have a plant inside and your pot has no holes,on the bottom just dip it in. I was too scared to submerge it all the way so I kept a lot of it blank.
***plants need draining holes so if you don't have one, after this project, you should poke one in yourself. Trust me this will help keep it alive*
Step  5. Pull out your planter and hold it up so that it can air dry.  Then place over a paper or newspaper until completely ... not wet.
Step 6. Put your plant in your new planter if you haven't already and now YAY it's now done!
And the last self-explanatory step- DISPLAY!
Looking good! I put my planter on the window sill to show it off and also get some light on my succulent.
If you want you can stroll down memory lane with me: I purchased my succulent at Trader Joes and we've been inseparable ever since!
This is me keeping watch over it in the car.
This is going on pinterest <3
Hope you guys had a magnificent week and get your creative juices flowing!

~Angela

3 comments:

  1. Love this DIY, it looks great! I definitely going to try this, it'll add colour to all my pots.
    Martha x
    Minty Fox Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading ! Glad to hear you liked this post(: your blog is lovely by the way.
      Have a great week
      Angela

      Delete
  2. This is marvelous but one question can we use this method on cement planters?

    ReplyDelete