Saturday, December 13, 2014

Holiday gift DIY: Lace Trimmed Socks

     I am super excited to share this small DIY project I recently made. I've been procrastinating on posting lately, but hopefully  you'll enjoy this week's long promised DIY post!
(Here I am "modeling" the socks I decorated. )
     Christmas is just around the corner and if you're the type of person who doesn't know what to get your friends, try dressing up some socks that will keep them warm this winter. Fuzzy socks are a staple item during the holidays. Secretly, you know you can never have enough pairs of warm socks. Why not try something a little more fun, frilly this year?
     Today I will be showing you guys how to create lace trimmed socks. It's extremely easy and as long as you know the basics of gluing stuff down, or sewing, you can ,make a pair in less than 15 minutes! 
First of all I just wanted to point out that I saw a pair of lace-trimmed over the knee socks from forever21, but a single pair cost nearly $10. Instead of buying a bunch and becoming broke, I decided to DIY them myself. 
 
Now let's get started!

Here are the materials you will need:
  • A pair of boring socks
  • Lace trim
  • Fabric glue or needle and thread (needle and thread/ sewing machine recommended)
  • Scissors 
I bought this set of lace trim tape from Daiso, a Japanese Store where everything is only $1.50.

 



these socks were just randomly in my drawers, but I'm going to buy more different lengths to decorate

Step 1.  Measure around the circumference of your thigh, or mid calf ( wherever the top of your sock ends on your leg) leaving a small 1/4 inch extra for allowance and cut the lace trim.
 
 

DO NOT just attach the trimming around the top unless the material is stretch otherwise, your feet won't fit!

Step 2. Attach the lace onto the edges, There are 3 ways you can do this:
  • The first way is kind of complicated. Glue the trim to your sock while it is on ( this only works if you have lace tape like mine which is sticky on one side) then afterwards, take the sick of and use a sewing machine, or your hands to stitch it on.
  • The second way is to just go ahead and stitch the trimming on the mouth of the sock with the measurements made in step 1. 
  • The third way is to just use fabric glue to attach, however I personally have not tried this method so I am only 88% sure it will work.

 
Now you have finished! Repeat this step to finish your second sock, and feel free to make a bunch for your friends. Of course you can always just make a pair for yourself (That's what I did!)


here I am watching a Korean Drama and further procrastinating my life away... 

here I am finishing up my Kdrama episode (: These socks make any regular thing 1233124123x better!


See you next week, have a magical holiday break!


~Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment